Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jumping The Broom (2011)

Due to the vast popularity of my blog (or my fiancee being a member of a website and getting selected, but hey, we all know which it really was) I was invited to a preview sceening of Jumping The Broom, scheduled for a Mother's Day 2011 release.

The movie focuses on two families, the rich, upper class bride's family, and the more blue collar groom's family, and the differences in culture and expectations of the two. Hilarity ensues. Loretta Devine delivers a great performance, as the postal worker mother who is a little lost in Martha's Vineyard.  Her overprotective nature and mistrust of the bride's family sets up most of the film's jokes. Since it's likely that you haven't seen the film yet, I won't ruin any more of the plot.  There isn't anything particularly novel in the film's story, and you may feel like you have seen the story before.  I appreciated that the writers kept the story grounded, instead of adding a "crazy plot twist" or any "zany antics" to spice the story up.

One of my favorite aspects of the film was the relationship between the main character Jason (Laz Alonso), and his friend Malcolm (DeRay Davis). It takes a very different path than I am used to, and I enjoyed the way it played out.  Malcolm slightly reminded me of some of the people who I have known, and trust me, that isn't exactly a flattering statement.

I laughed out loud several times, and the audience laughed more.  I also heard several comments about the attractiveness of the male leads, so if that's your game, buy a ticket.  If anything, at least find and watch the trailer.  The joke about the shirt is enough to get a laugh.

Overall - 8/10.  If you enjoy Rom Coms, or comedies in general, see it.  If you require your films to have a minimum of three explosions, you may want to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment