Wednesday, March 16, 2011

TRON: Legacy (2010)

Oh Jeff Bridges, why did you let them do that to your face?

I had never seen the original TRON film.  I know that it has cult status among sci-fi fans, and the people who mention it often love it greatly.

TRON: Legacy was an enjoyable film, however I spend most of the film distracted by some of the visuals:

1.  CLU's face - Jeff Bridges was digitally de-aged for the CLU character, and you can tell.  The mouth just doesn't move correctly, and in a movie with all other characters portrayed by normal folks, it's a jarring difference.

2. Olivia Wilde's haircut - Every time they showed her in a close up, I wanted to snicker.  The slanted line haircut in the front was just so comical I couldn't take her character seriously.

3. The Program's helmets - Most likely this was due to the lighting, but I had difficulty telling the helmet of the Main Bad Lieutenant character from the helmet of the regular soldiers.  At one point I thought that the Main Bad Lieutenant had been randomly killed in a scene, just for him to show up later and I had to put two and two together to see it was just Random Soldier A who had gotten killed five minutes ago.


Overall, I enjoyed the film's story.  Despite being a 2010 movie, the story felt dated, however.  I'm sure that some of the details were held over from the 1980s film.  The computer world represented just looked and felt like a 1980s computer world.  I was expecting more references to new computing things, such as internet, viruses, etc.

Score - 8/10.
If you enjoy lighter mood sci-fi, go for it.  It's entertaining, the CGI environments and equipment are well done and visually appealing.  Just don't make eye contact with Jeff Bridges the younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment